Thursday, July 19, 2007

Responsible Use of Technology

One important issue that is related to responsible use of technology in the classroom is to have rules for the students on how to use the internet safely. This is so very important. I know that I set limits at home for my daughter to keep her safe with all the stuff that happens over the internet and I expect even greater caution at school. The students need to realize that they should never give out any personal information to any one on the internet. Also the school should have filters already set up so the students cannot view inappropriate material, but you can also set the computers filter higher so that it is more limited. As a teacher in kindergarten I feel that this is very important. I feel that this is the first thing the students need to learn and is has to be said over and over to protect them.

2 comments:

tesl575@calstate.com said...

Students are full of questions and eager to learn more about new things, don't they. These young learners are also very trusting and nedd protection especially when they are online. Teachers should protect them by preseecting the websites they need to search and place on "favorites" ready for them to be used at the click of the mouse. This is one of many ways we can protect them from getting exposed to information and images that are not appropriated for any children!
Gemmie

Anonymous said...

I couldn’t have agreed more with everything you say. It’s so crazy how the internet has become so huge in positive way, but with all the positives; negative things have also come out of it. I agree that students should have rules that explain appropriate use of the internet. Filters are a great way of assisting schools and classrooms from “bad” websites. I do have concerns about cousins going online and chatting with friends. With all of the crazy things you hear about kids and the internet, I often wonder whether or not the internet has been a good thing or a bad thing. I definitely agree that taking precaution like never giving out your name and address is a good way to prevent problems in the future.
I think my suggestions for regulating student's interactions on the internet is through allowing students to only research certain sites, constant monitoring, and applying regulations to student conduct with computers